Compendium (return)


Here, you will find – exclusively – my humble compendium of letters. These are the correspondence I have maintained with my family. I submit them to your review for reasons I do not understand.

Forgive such musings as here follow. They are merely awkward attempts to understand a reality which eludes language. And, now they are yours.

10.01.2014

Carys Comma

Caribou,


Your defiance has brought you a lot of confusion and struggle, I know. It almost always ends with you losing something - some privilege or hope. But it burns hot within you still. 

I've tried blaming your mother for this particular personality trait in you. She is a redhead, after all. However, I should take my share of the credit. So much of my life has been spent in defiance - bucking the system and pushing the envelope - and I feel a little lost when there is no cause to champion or cross to bear. So, I'm sure I have some part in your fire. 

I hope yours is a fire we never extinguish - a passion unlimited. It has to be controlled, it has to be used for a transcendent good. And if it is - it could change the trajectory of our time, our story. 

Your mother and I have no idea how to help you learn about this fire or how to control this heat. But please keep up the fight and perhaps we will learn. Together. 


Dad




numbers